Saturday, March 3, 2007

Guess what is missing???



Friday afternoon Mary and I were outside piddling around in the yard, talking about spring, and so on. Then she up and asked me about taking the training wheels off her bike, affectionately known as the Jitterbug. I said that she would probably be ready this summer and that once we take them off we won’t put them back on – no going back. She thought for a moment and said how about now? We fumbled around for a few minutes getting the tools out and the bike flipped over and off came those training wheels.

We went through all the ‘pre-no-training-wheels’ check list – helmet on, shoes tied, one foot on the forward pedal, one foot on the ground, push down and go – if you look down, you go down; if you look forward, you go forward. Next was the amazing part. She got on, I gave her a little push and there she went riding through the yard. She was very determined when she stopped to get going again without help. This went on and on and eventually she was riding the length of our short little street and even turning a circle in the cul-de-sac. Needless to say, but of course I have to, I am proud of her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Mary!!!! I am proud of you, too! I had heard through Nana and Pa that you learned to ride with no training wheels, but it's SO FUN to see pictures and to hear your Daddy telling about it. Thanks, Rodney! You're a good Daddy!!!!

Laura said...

Good job Mary!! That's quite an accomplishment!